Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Little Brother

          I have a little brother who changes everything. He is truly the BEST and greatest friend I have ever had. Not only is the kid a walking joke box, but he makes everyday feel like a competition for the most laugh's. Growing up with him was anything but dull. He has the kind of personality that just lights up a room. Sometimes it would be as if everyone would just wait for him to talk; because, we never knew exactly what was going to come out of his mouth. Playing games and sports was ALWAYS entertaining-of course you would agree if you had your own private announcer too-but more than that, he truly made life feel like a gift. When I am around my wonderful little brother...oh the difference it makes. I learned to count on that kid in ways I just couldn't with anybody else.
          He was one of those boys who never quite knew how to handle tears-I don't think that has changed either, but I still could go to him and he would find a way to make me laugh it off. I'm not really a person who likes to talk about feelings and people and drama, so I knew if I was sad that I could just go to him and he would help me find a way to forget the sadness. It worked for both of us, and it has been the ultimate relationship in my life. My little brother is special...he has a place so deep in my heart that he could never be replaced. I connect with him much better than anyone else in my family and I always wondered if he knew that. Watching him grow always made me want to be better-if for no one else, for him.
          Currently he is half a world away in Nicaragua and although he has only been gone for two months, I miss him DEEPLY. There are so many things you just don't notice until they are gone. There are certainly situations that will remind us of someone or something,but there are also things that will never be the same without that one person. Its in everything that I do. Now, I'm sure that a lot of me missing him has to do with the fact that I'm living in his old room-that in and of itself is a GIANT reminder, but its in everything else too...watching football, playing cards, listening to ANY kind of music or just watching a favorite movie-it all happened with him.
          This is the first time in my life without him and the difference is unbearable at times; but, mostly I just feel really lucky to have such an incredible person not only as my friend, but as my little brother. Words just cannot adequately express my love and joy that continually grow because of this boy. I know I'm the older one, but I learn so much from him that you would think it was opposite. I would be content to just be his shadow. I know what a difference he can make because I know what a BIG heart he has. He works hard, plays harder and understands the important things in life-but will still make sure that there is time for the little things. He's smart, motivated, and above all he is KIND. My brother has always been there for me and for this I will never truly be able to say thank you. 
          There are just some people who change you. He has done that for me for nineteen years. I can't imagine life without him, and even though he is gone...he is a big part of what keeps me going. His unconditional love has changed my heart and touched my soul. Thank goodness for little brothers <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment